We just got the proofs back from our pregnancy photo shoot (thank you to Brett's sister Dana for an awesome Christmas present!) The pictures were taken by Dana's babysitter Chris Marsh who also doubles as a photographer...talk about the best of both worlds!. Photoplay Photography is responsible for some of the best pictures we've seen of our nephews Walter Mack and Hudson, so we knew we were in good hands!
Gotta say, Chickadee and Brett are going to be looking sharp next year in their matching ensembles! Check out their new outfits, courtesy of our Charlotte based Santa & Mrs. Claus (aka Dean & Taryn)...
With Chickadee coming soon, we figured it might be time to learn something about babies. Thankfully, Brett's sister Dana has two and let us practice on them while we were visiting over the Thanksgiving break.
The Jordan Boys
Two-year-old Walter Mack is a wild man. The kid is completely outgoing, supernaturally ENERGETIC and has the voice of a parrot...so watch what you say. He recently got into troubs for saying 'crapola'. WM loves to play 'ball' and his newest trick is trying to tackle you. (That's what happens when your dad is a coach).
His little brother Hudson is the most calm, chill and easy going five-month-old baby we've ever seen. Like the child doesn't even really cry. And he makes funny prehistoric dinosaur noises, which are quiet entertaining. We're pretty sure that with our genetic makeup, Chickadee will not be like this.
Over the Thanksgiving break we got a few parenting lessons:
1. Don't naturally assume that the pictures on the diaper go in the front. Considering both of us put the diapers on backwards, we'd like to issue a complaint to Huggies for tricking us. Why put pictures on the back of a diaper?? How does the kid enjoy that, huh?? Stupid diaper art.
2. Babies are messy eaters. And they like bright colored gross stuff. Like puree sweet potatoes. And you shouldn't accidentally cuss when you miss their mouths and hit them in the face with it. Because you never know what little parrot is flying around and might repeat you.
3. Apparently, kids are not camera ready. Heather is notorious for spotting a camera a mile away and is always ready with her go-to smile. She's taught Brett the same trick and over the years, he's become a pretty good picture poser. Babies, however, will look EVERYWHERE but at the person snapping the picture.
4. Bottles make babies happy. So happy they throw up sometimes. Can't say the same hasn't happened to us a time or two, though.
5. Who knew that straws and spoons were such amazing play things at the restaurant table? Also, you should steer grabbing hands away from knives and fork and generally any other sharp objects.
And they say raising a child is hard...pu-lease, we've totally got this covered y'all!
Having recently hit a huge sale at the Baby Gap outlet in Vermont, we decided to see if lightening could indeed strike twice. The upside to living in upstate New York is that there are several outlets within an hour's drive of our house. A few months ago Brett stumbled upon a Gap outlet nestled inside a regular mall. We're not sure why, but we're not going to argue...plus it's only 16 miles from our house!
The Rotterdam Square Mall in Schenectady has probably seen better days, but offers TJ Maxx, Sears and K-Mart as it's anchor stores. The Gap outlet proved to be another bargain bin and we walked away with some good deals (look for them on eBay soon!). What we didn't realize was that we walked out the wrong door to get back to the car.
And you won't believe what we saw:
A freaking graveyard! At first we thought it might have been leftover Halloween decorations, but upon closer inspection, it was the real thing.
Heather did some digging and came up with the mall's history. Apparently, the mall sits on the site once owned by the Vedder family. Harman Albertse Vedder bought the land in 1672 and built a home on it. Around 1832, Harmens' great grandson Johannes sold the property to Colonel Daniel David Schermerhorn Campbell. Campbell promptly built a 26 bedroom mansion on the land...no word on if that was the original structure of the mall or not though.
Geez...didn't any of these people ever see Poltergeist?
As former newsies, Heather & Brett had to appreciate this little video Brett's sister Dana emailed us. Looks like our nephews, Walter Mack and Hudson, are dipping their toes into the business! (Hang in there until around the 1:50 mark to catch it)
With the help of Random.org and UPrinting.com, it's our pleasure to announce a big ol' congratulations to
Just for reading I Heart NY Y'all, Stephanie has won the very first giveaway from UPrinting on our blog! Stephanie wins a free 16" x 20" rolled canvas print and one business day turnaround free shipping!
Special thanks to UPrinting for sponsoring this giveaway - thanks y'all!